|Learnt At||79 in faith.rituals.defensive or faith.rituals.defensive.target|
|Requirements||Symbol and a shield|
|Granted By||Pishe, Gufnork, Gapp, Sandelfon, Fish, Hat and Sek|
Provides a powerful defensive shield
Probably the most used ritual by priests. This ritual covers the target in a protective layer of shielding which soaks up damage. It is effectively a complete covering of armour which weighs nothing. Unfortunately it is not very good against specials, but can soak up a large amount of base round damage at high bonuses.
You need a shield to perform the ritual. A mounted pewter shield is the lightest, but has a severe penalty from using it in that your major shield will be harder to perform, weaker in strength and shorter in duration. A "proper" shield, although heavier (the lightest is a small leather shield, at 2 lbs), does not have the penalty. Other than the effects mentioned here, the type of shield has no effect whatsoever on the ritual.
Each deity has a different appearance of major shield, coming in at least 2 types depending on the strength.
- Pishe: Layer of translucent fog, Blanket of fog
- Gufnork: Layer of fluff
- Gapp: Translucent cloth robe, Translucent <style> fabric
- Sandelfon: Wall of dust, Ethereal wall
- Fish: Slimy seaweed cloak
- Hat: Translucent feathers
- Sek: Crackling flames, Bright crimson flames
If you have a magical impact shield, that will always absorb hits first, with the major shield only having any effect after it has been destroyed.
It can also be extended by "stacking". For example, if casting the ritual once leads to a 2 minute duration, casting it 4 times in a row stacks it to an 8 minute duration. The duration of a major after a single perform is often said to be equal to your bonus in seconds, which seems to fit for lower bonuses. However it gets somewhat shorter than this at higher bonuses, for example instead of over 8 minutes with 500 bonus it's much closer to 7.5 minutes. It can be extended with Minor Shield, however this will weaken the major shield and is not recommended. It's better to use the stacking method as mentioned. Extending it with another Major Shield performed with greater penalties or fewer bonuses, or by someone with a lower bonus will also weaken it, though it's unknown exactly how much. Likewise, you can also strengthen your shield by performing with higher bonuses or other forms of buffs (Bless, Prayer Beads, performing at your Gods altar).
You can see how long your shield will last by typing "shields". This will give you an approximate time until your major shield expires. These are the messages you will get for Major Shield or Minor Shield.
- You are protected by the power of Pishe. You will be protected for less than five minutes.
- You are protected by the power of Pishe. You will be protected for at least five minutes.
- You are protected by the power of Pishe. You will be protected for at least a quarter hour.
- You are protected by the power of Pishe. You will be protected for at least half an hour.
- You are protected by the power of Pishe. You will be protected for at least an hour.
- You are protected by the power of Pishe. You will be protected for at least a couple of hours.
- You are protected by the power of Pishe. You will be protected for more than a quarter of a day.
- You are protected by the power of Pishe. You will be protected for more than half a day.
- You are protected by the power of Pishe. You will be protected for more than a day.
Major Shield will place a protective shield around you that acts as a layer of armour against blows. It provides significantly more protection than the Minor Shield ritual. You'll need a holy symbol consecrated to your god and a shield to perform this ritual.
> perform major shield on me You speak a short prayer. You call upon Fish to protect yourself. You are protected by the power of Fish.
- faith.rituals.defensive.target level 79 (Sandelfon, Gufnork)
- faith.rituals.defensive level 79 (Pishe, Hat)
Base GP Cost
Holy symbol and a shield
|Components||Holy symbol, Shield|
|Will Attempt to Resist||No|
|Will Be Angered||No/Unknown|